Business Studies is a popular subject, staffed by Mr J. Jones (Subject Leader), Miss A. McLean and Miss J. Welsh. We offer both GCSE and A level with Miss McLean also heading the Economics Department. The department strive to give their students the best possible chance of progress, offering intervention where necessary as well as extra-curricular activities.
Email the department: email@example.com
Students gain some experience with the concepts of Business via year 7 and 8 Enterprise Days.These introduce some basic business concepts such as finance, product design, USP’s, pricing, employment and external influences as well as helping to develop skills in teamwork and presentation. If chosen as an option these themes are continued and extended in KS4.
Eduqas GCSE Business Studies
The course is assessed through 2 exams, Business Dynamics a 2 hour paper 62.5% of the assessment and Business Considerations a one and a half hour paper 37.5% of the assessment. There is no longer any coursework.
The course broadly covers:
- Business Activity: Analysis of business, business objectives, entrepreneurship, public and private sectors, legal structures, growth and location
- Influences on Business: Technology, ethics, environment and sustainability, economics, trade, globalization, the EU and legal considerations
- Business Operations: Methods of production, quality, procurement, logistics and stock control, sales and customer service,
- Finance: Sources of finance, classification of costs, break even, simple investment appraisal, profit and loss accounts, cash flow and financial analysis.
- Marketing: Market segmentation, market research and an in depth look at the marketing mix, product, place, price and promotion.
- Human Resources: Recruitment, training, motivation, structure, communication, trade unions and departments in a business.
KS4 for current Year 11 (2017-18)
WJEC GCSE Business Studies (4080)
The course is assessed through one single tier 2 hour written paper, worth (75% of the marks) this is a mixture of multiple choice, short answer questions and essays. 25% of the course is a Controlled Assessment, consisting of independent research followed by 3 hours of writing, although this time will be split across a number of lessons.
The course broadly covers the following topics:
- Business Structure entrepreneurship, sole traders, partnerships, Ltd’s, PLC’s, franchising and cooperatives.
- Marketing, market research, the 4P’s of marketing and legal aspects
- Production, job batch flow, JIT, quality systems, break even, growth, location, the EU and the single currency.
- HRM, recruitment, motivation, trade unions, communication, organisation charts, leadership and payment systems
- The External Environment, competition, economics, technology, the law and unforeseen events.
- Finance, types of funding, cash flow, balance sheets, profit and loss accounts and financial analysis.
OCR Business Studies AS (optional) & A2
The course consists of an AS and an A2 year:
- The AS is examined by 2 papers each one and a half hours long, one examining local business, one UK national business.
- The A2 takes the subject matter taught at AS and expands it. It is examined by 3 papers each two hours long, as in the AS one on local business, one national and one global. The global paper specifically examines a student’s ability to respond to data.