Through food preparation skills students will cover the five core topics of the course which are:
- Food, Nutrition and Health
- Food Science
- Food Safety
- Food Choice
- Food Provenance
Written exam - 50%
Assessing the theoretical knowledge of food preparation and nutrition
Non-exam assessment - 50% comprising of two tasks ( Year 11)
Task 1 - Food investigation
- Assessing students understanding of the working characteristics, functional and chemical properties of ingredients
- This is assessed through students submitting a written report (1,500-2,000 words) including photographic evidence of practical investigations.
Task 2 - Food preparation assessment
- Assessing students knowledge, skills and understanding in relation to the planning, preparation, cooking, presentation of food and application of nutrition related to the chosen task.
- Students will prepare, cook and present a final menu of three dishes within a single period of three hours, planning in advance how this will be achieved.
- This is assessed with students submitting a written portfolio including photographic evidence of the practical sessions, and the practical examination.