Key Stage 4
At Key Stage 4 the students can opt to study Food where they will have the opportunity to learn about a range of current issues. The subject allows pupils to apply their theory knowledge in practice through practical cooking lessons, challenging their understanding while subsequently fostering their own independence.
While studying one of the 2 courses we have to offer; GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition or Level 2 Hospitality & Catering, learners will develop knowledge of the following core elements:
Commodities used in the food industry:
· Fruit and vegetables
· Meat, poultry, fish and eggs.
· Milk, yoghurt and cheese.
· Beans, nuts, soya, tofu, seeds
· Butter, oil, margarine and sugars.
Food preparation and cooking:
· Bread making
· Cake making
· Pastry; including short crust, choux and flaky
· Sauces such as Ragu and Roux.
· Chemical and functional properties of nutrients and ingredients including denaturation, coagulation, gelatinisation etc.
- Principals of Nutrition, diet and good health
- Food Preparation and cooking
- The Hospitality & Catering Industry
- Health, Safety & Hygiene
- The science of cooking food
- Spoilage and food waste
- Food provenance
- British and International cultures and cuisines
- Factors affecting food choices including environmental factors
- Menu planning
- Technological developments.